Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Paula Deen's Savannah Style

I love it when out of nowhere you discover something you didn't know existed, let alone know would provide an unexpected delight.  Well that is exactly what happened on my last trip to Costco!  As I cruised the book section, there was Paula looking radiant with her silver hair and  mega watt smile.  I want to be her friend.  Now more than ever. 

We all know she can cook...and has authored many, many cookbooks. And, she has a couple of cooking shows and 2 restaurants. While vacationing in Savannah several years ago we had dinner at her infamous Lady & Son's restaurant.  We did not meet Paula, but did meet her son, Bobby, who stopped by our table and could not have been nicer!

But....did you know she has a decorating book new out this year?  She co-authored this with her assistant. Decorator and styling expert, Brandon Branch.  The fantastic photography is by Deborah Whitlaw Llewellyn.  It is well written, full of insight's and history and lot's of gracious southern hospitality.  It is also the first decorating book that I have, or likely will ever own, that uses the word...peein'...more than once! 

The book not only shows  Paula's homes, but those of friends as well.  It is also broken down into season's and Brandon provides lot's of style secrets throughout.  They talk about everything from silver to taxidermy! 

Here are just a few of the beautiful interior and exterior spaces that caught my eye:







She has just added two guest houses on her property shown below.  She did not want visiting friends to be inconvenienced by film crews.  How very thoughful...yes, I want to be her friend even if I have to say the word peein'!!!  Each is decorated in a different style by her friend and interior designer, Carolyn Hultman, who used lots of Paula's own furniture designs! Hard to believe they are only a mere 650 square each.  Oh, how I would love to stay in one!



Looking for a wonderful Mother's Day to gift to give or receive?  This book might be it!

Don't forget to enter the givaway on the previous post!

22 comments:

  1. You are right, I KNOW my mom would LOVE this book! It's always fun to be able to peek into someone else's world, don't you think? I like the fact that the book is broken down by seasons, so you can pick it up throughout the year for inspiration "of the moment." What a fun and unexpected encounter you had at Costco, which in my family we say, "Where all good things come from!" xx P&H

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about this book...& the way you've described it makes me want to buy a stack of them and share with my girlfriends.
    Such pretty images. And, OMG wouldn't it be wonderful to have guest cottages on your property? Too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to have to check this out, this is the second time today I have read something about this book. I remember seeing a show that showed the interior of her home on the river and I was so shocked at the amazing style this home had and how well appointed it was. I guess I expected lots of ruffles or something but it was so beautifully decorated. I loved it. A trip to Costco is what is on my agenda, thanks for the preview, Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just adore Paula. These images are filled with a variety and sophistication I didn't expect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know she has a furniture line too? http://www.pauladeenhome.com/
    I am so in love with this style of southern decorating - I am living in the wrong state! Thanks for reminding me that this one's been on my short list. I'll hit up Costco this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We must have been at Costgo at the same time (though here in Canada) and saw the book at the same time.......what a fun lady with really good taste. Would make for a great gift. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving those exterior porch shots...so very inspiring for what I am trying to create over here! Great find, in Costco no less!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll come by and 'git' ya tomorrow and we'll take a little road trip, surely she wouldn't mind having a few 'girlfriends' over for a sleepover!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so proud for Paula. She has worked so hard to get where she is and appears so gracious and humble. Looks like a great book. I didn't know about it but will definitely pick one up. Thanks so much for your kind words on my blog today. I'm having professional pictures taken of the entire house and hope to post them soon. I hope you will come back and see. Mona

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the color of that outdoor veranda ceiling. I just painted the ceiling eaves of my outdoor balcony a similar color (Farrow and Ball Blue Grey). It makes the sky seem so close.

    Have added your blog to my list -- you are wonderful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am convinced that I am Paula Deen's long-lost daughter and that we will one day be reunited.

    What?

    A girl can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll have to check this out on my next trip to Costco -- looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My daughter's swimming lessons were just cancelled for today.....hmmmm....now perhaps I have time for a quick trip to Costco! I had no idea she had a book...looks lovely....thankis for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay I might buy the book, or at least peruse it, but I cannot get into the shell encrusted armoire. No can do.

    Happy Mother's Day!!!

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
  15. i would stay in a tent in paula deen's yard. i love her so.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I had that book, I would make sure that I had some "butter" on hand tp turn the pages. Paula -I know would approve!
    I love her accent.
    Happy Mother's day to you Rebecca!
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great book and a great home!
    Happy Mother's Day!
    xo xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. On my first cup of coffee making my Costco list up and doing a little blog hopping - kismet! I love PD and think that inspite of her huge success she remains a normal down to earth person. I knew she had a rug line, but figured it was just a brand thing. Guess I was wrong, all those pictures are beautiful. Happy Moma's Day Y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh that picture of the front porch - stirs my southern soul!!! Thanks for the heads up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey,
    I'm trying to identify the wallpaper in the kitchen on page 153 of Paula's book. Does anyone recognize it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!