|Michael Aram for WSH|
And, for everyone else a friendly reminder only 24 days left to shop, wrap, bake, and decorate! I'm starting today. And, speaking of decorating, thought I'd share a few of my holiday don'ts.
- Please don't wrap your sofa pillows or powder room hand towels in ribbon. They are not gifts. It confuses people as to whether these items are actually supposed to be used!
- Fake poinsettia's inside or out...NO, NO NO!!!
- Skimping on your tree lights. I know it's tempting because it's such a pain, but no matter what else you hang on the tree, it won't look it's best if there is not enough light. Try to weave the lights in and out of the tree branches and figure a minimum of 100 hundred lights per foot. If your tree is 7 feet tall, that's at least 700 lights.
- Do not feel compelled to put out ALL your decorations. Choose colors/a theme and stick with it.
- Do not cover every surface with holiday decor. People still "live" daily during the holidays and there needs to be places to put down a book or a drink. Gather like items together and display them on surfaces that won't be needed throughout the season.
- Inflatables. Sorry to be a little Grinch-y, but skip the temptation to decorate with these. Don't let your kids talk you into this. Take them to see Santa and the characters at the mall. Or you can swing by the neighborhood gas station, they usually have plenty on display! The only thing worse than seeing your inflated characters is seeing the giant globs of deflated vinyl on your lawn...all day...everyday...for a month...or longer. UGH!
What are your don'ts? Do tell!
All images from Google except where noted.