When the light comes in through the french doors, the floors look so awful.
The broken vent is such an awesome designer touch, don't you think?
Without a doubt the most hideous and shameful part of our house!
|Before close up of damage hidden under the mat.|
|After close up!|
Day One: Floors are sanded on the entire main level of the house. Removal of carpet and pad in upstairs hallway and wood cut and installed for a new floor there. Carpet and pad removed from existing stairs and new wood steps and risers installed. Each one had to be cut because I have an enclosed staircase and surprise....the walls weren't straight. The crew vacuumed the floors. At this point, I have brief moment where I want to keep the floors just like this and wish I had a beach house or cottage to try it out!!!
|A small sander is used for the perimeter. Goodbye orange!|
|After the stain, sealant and first top coat of satin finish. When it's wet it looks like high gloss.|
Day 4: Apply the thresholds upstairs and shoe molding downstairs. Vacuum, buff and apply first coat of satin finish. Discover later that night, the crew took a little shortcut in the laundry/mud room and "forgot" to mention it to me or the owner of the company!
|The difference in floor color is really apparent here. Guess they thought since it was under the bench we wouldn't |
notice??? I love a striped wood floor, but two-toned? Uh....no thanks!
|After, That's more like it!|
My husband and daughter(who was on spring break) return home from a little vacation. Right away he notices the problem in the mud room. I place a call to the owner and explain that it has not been remotely fixed. We schedule a meeting with the owner to come and look at the room Saturday morning. Naturally he doesn't like to hear there are problems. Problems equal delays. Delay of work equals delay of payment.
I am so happy that my husband and daughter are home, but the dog's vacation has to be extended due to the screw up. I have been living in the basement and note that my efforts to make it a really comfortable and functional space have paid off. But, after being in "lockdown" for days I decide a small refridgerator and microwave would be good additions. I am seriously sick of Chipotle's Carnitas Salad. It seems there really can be too much of a good thing.
|Here we go! The week before, the new wood is delivered for the upstairs hallway.|
Day 6: We meet with the owner of the flooring company in the morning. He agrees the work under the mud room bench is unacceptable and says they will need to re-do the entire room. UGH! I am not surprised and feel good about a referral arrangement for the future. Remember in my previous post I said when final payments are pending and there is a problem, resources and a resolution will happen sooner rather than later? In this case they had to purchase two new types of sanders, including one used for radiators. The crew worked all day Saturday!
|New floor in the upstairs hallway. Smooth as silk, but I am going to add a gorgeous runner|
that my husband brought home from his travels.
Day 8: The crew returned today to put the washer and dryer back in the room. Officially done!!!!!!!!!! The floors are 100% better and I am so happy with the outcome. Time to make that final payment and get busy tackling all that laundry...sigh.
I wish my camera could truly capture the depth and richness the floors now have after this process.
Regarding the dust.... I knew there would be a mess, but it was still worse than I anticipated. Even with the dust containment system, which looked like a hot water tank on wheels, it took hours to wipe down the walls, doors and moldings. I also knew there would be paint touch ups, but far more stain got on the door jambs and staircase wall than I had imagined. Significant painting was not something I had figured into my budget.
What I Would Do Differently: I would have made the installation of the new steps (a post for another time) and hallway a separate project to be completed at another time. It would have made things far easier logistically and I wouldn't have been as confined to the basement. For those of you without a finished basement, you are probably going to want/need to find acccomodations for at least part of this process.
I had plenty of reading material, and certainly watched way too much television. Chatting on the phone with friends also helped pass the time. However, I stupidly told my husband he could take the laptop. Imagine being unplugged for days and you're not on vacation or busy...super annoying. On the morning of day two I was greeted with a dead car battery and was freaking out that I couldn't escape to Starbucks! I quickly regretted that I didn't think to put my coffee maker downstairs. I had to wait till the middle of the day to retrieve it! Between no java and the smell of the varnish, I had one big ass headache. Even with low voc products, there is a smell. And on the days it rained...worse! Fortunately, I always have Advil and Imitrex in my purse. Bottled water, Laughing Cow cheese and crackers were the other mainstays of my meals. Sad, I know, but a small price to pay for gorgeous floors!