Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Tuesday Tip

Did your house get everything it wanted for Christmas? No? Neither did mine.
I'm crazy about convex mirrors and the arrival of this pair of tiny antique specimans was so exciting!
They are reflecting the columns that lead into the kitchen and make the ceiling look 15 feet tall.

And that's okay. Although I did receive a few new treasures. And new items, even the small ones, sometimes provide the push needed to inspire a few changes. And what better time to do it than the start of a new year?

I have a lock collection. My husband gave me this one for Christmas.
It's the first square one I've ever owned!

I think after the holidays, when everything is put away (I finally finished this past Saturday), a house can feel empty and even a bit lifeless. But that also provides a clean slate and the opportunity for little updates and small changes. Turn it into the winter version of spring cleaning. Just add fresh flowers and music and I promise it will be quite enjoyable!
The way the sunlight was coming into the living room today, it almost looked like spring,
except for the red berries that are abundant on the Holly tree just outside the window!

I definately don't think new things are always needed to make changes, sometimes the best place to shop is at home! Just moving a few things such as a lamp, the items on the coffee table, a chair or small work of art, not only gives the house a fresh perspective, but it's owner as well! Now where to put those convex mirrors...

16 comments:

  1. Rebecca I agree, after the holiday decor is put away; it is fun to rearrange the decor!!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca I have the perfect place to hang your mirrors and you can visit them any time...;) Those mirrors are fabulous my friend as well as your lock and key. Funny but mister man loves lock and keys might be time for me to start looking. Love your finial on your pedestal.

    Hugs!
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your square lock

    The convex mirrors, could you install one on the side of a window facing the street and really keep tabs on what your neighbours are doing? Or would that be peeping?

    Fun

    Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been cleaning and moving things around like crazy! I totally agree with you about removing Christmas and the best part is fresh eyes to see your stuff. I love that you have a lock collection,btw.
    Happy New Year!
    xo
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fresh flowers and music...ah! wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the mirrors, and am with you about "shopping in your own home"...its fun to give new life to things that have been hanging around in the wrong spot. I have been playing that game for a looooong time and love changing things around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty vignette in your last photo! Each January I find myself moving things around too. Things look empty and odd after I remove the Christmas decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the lock collection.
    what a great thing to collect.
    they are so industrial....
    and you can never beat the patina!!


    thank you for the kind words this morning!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your new treasures especially the lock.I have a thing about keys so the lock collection sounds so intriguing to me. I would love to see your other locks!! It is so true this time of year is a great time to do a little re-arranging. I on the other hand,am in my closet purging away, trying to whistle while I work, Happy Wednesday,
    Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE your mirrors!
    I have a convex mirror
    with an eagle in our entry
    and it makes me happy
    every time that I see it.
    I agree with you about a
    fresh start. I'd taken down
    a few things before the
    Christmas decor went up
    and I still have brought it
    all out.....want to sit with
    it in stripped-down version,
    for a while and let the wheels
    spin.

    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I've been having such a troubled tme leaving comments on several blogs...yours being one of them, but it seems the situation has remedied itself, thank goodness!!
    Love your new mirrors, the detailing is very pretty! I've been filling the empty, after holiday void with gifts to myself actually...several bit of milk glass have made me very happy recently!
    Happy New Year Rebecca!!!
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally agree about moving things around - sometimes you just need the inspiration. Love your mirrors - totally charming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love those mirrors! They are stunning. So nice to have a pair of them too. Can't wait to see where they'll end up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful mirrors - I always love things in pairs!! (Symmetry disease, I think!)

    I feel like the Tale of Two Houses. I have the one I'm trying to make pretty and warm and welcoming. And, the other one on the other side of a purple sheetrock wall - dusty, though making progress.

    Longing for Spring and a complete home. (Though flowers and music and helping me get by!)
    xo Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love tghos mirrors - so elegant & stylish! So happy to have stumbled across your gorgeous blog! I have just signed up as your latest follower! I look forward to popping back for some more inspiration~
    x
    Melissah

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like shopping what I already have too. Such a pretty photograph of your lovely chair.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!