Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Tuesday Tip

The useful variety. Nothing  pretty or exciting, but worth passing along. Since I've been slacking on the tips lately, I have 4 for you today! All related to our recent garage and storage room makeovers.

1.) Buy extras of the basic tools you need to use often, such as pliers, screwdrivers, hammers and levels. Put them in both spaces.  Worth a little splurge not wasting time searching for items and saves trips up and down the stairs. The wallet may be a little lighter, but your back and knees with thank you. Fewer expletives will be uttered as well. Guaranteed!


Basement tools
 

Garage tools
 
2.) Place the manuals to your utilities in plastic bags and hang them where they can be easily referenced by you or the service technician.


3.) Purchase and store 6-12 months of furnace filters at a time. With a Sharpie label one for each month. This way you will never wonder if you forgot to change it! I never buy the cheap filters and I also change them (red packages below on the lower right for Oct, Nov & Dec at the time of this photo) once a month. Totally worth it to keep the air cleaner and everyone breathing easier.  And, ask any repair tech...better for the longevity and maintenance of your system.


4.) Unless you are going to be super diligent about transferring a small amount of paint into another container and labeling it...get rid of it.  Cans of paint take up valuable space for a "maybe situation". Discard old paint, varnish and thinner. But, not in the trash! Every county and city has either a hazardous waste drop off/pick-up schedule. This month,  cans that I am confident we no longer need for touch-ups will dropped off at an area high school.  Gather yours together and check online to inquire about proper disposal!


Paint to be discarded

I would love to hear if anyone has been inspired or motivated to tackle one of their own projects yet? Now is the time...before the holidays!

7 comments:

  1. The manuals in plastic hung up like that is nothing short of brilliant...mine are all in messy tangle at the bottom of our junk drawer. I really admire your organized ways so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soo organised! My manuals are also in a mess at the bottom of a junk drawer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your organizational skills. My skill - I just purge every few months. It's a cycle I can't seem to break. Clutter, clear, clutter, clear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I am going to start labeling my filters now.
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so organized! I think I might tackle the closet under the stairs after I finish my glass of wine...thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. truly great advice. I have so many paint cans it's horrible & since our home is for sale, it's one thing I should deal with NOW. I love to be organized, it just makes life flow & not feel like a squeaky wheel!!

    Bravo!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever indeed! Now any tips how to even GET into the garage?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment!