|Choking hazard due to the flatness, silky smooth faux fur and squeakers located in the head and tail. This toy was purchased at Harris Teeter, which is where I went to take this photo, but likely available at other retailers.|
I rushed her to the vet and the x-ray showed a mass, which was thought to be food and/or shredded and chewed parts of the toy and the 2 squeakers. After 2 failed attempts to induce vomiting to bring up whatever was in her stomach, I was told she could be sedated and have a tube and camera inserted down her throat to try and locate/remove what was in it, but depending on what else was in the stomach there was no guarantee of success.
|My dogs stomach with mystery mass and 2 squeakers.|
The recommendation of our vet after consulting 2 other vets and a specialist was to take her home, monitor her breathing and bring her back first thing Thursday morning to see if a new x-ray yielded any change before admitting her to surgery to open her stomach and remove the objects.
Needless to say it was a sleepless night and thank god, because sometime after 2am I heard her vomiting. The pile left on the laundry room floor was so large, it could have been elephant dropping.
Warning: the next two pictures are incredibly gross.
I really had no idea what I was looking at or if the squeakers were in this- no choice but to put on gloves and and go through the mess.
|The contents of my dogs stomach.|
I was in complete shock when I realized my dog had swallowed the toy whole and it was the length of a cookie sheet!
|The whole toy and some carrots.|
The vet was equally surprised when I showed up with the contents in a bag- there was clapping and cheering literally from everyone on duty the night before. She said we truly dodged a bullet because rarely will a dog vomit 6 hours later with no food or injection administered. This toy would be the human equivalent of mixing chewing gum and spaghetti together and giving it to a child!
|Lady Remington, aka Remy, exhausted, but on the mend.|
I share all of this with you so that others can avoid going through such a scary ordeal. Our vets office is also posting warnings in their office.
I'm hoping February brings a whole lot of this: